How should I pay in the United States? And where should I change my money?

Nearly every business in Greenville accepts credit or debit card payment, as well as cash. ATMs are readily available if you wish to withdraw USD cash. There are no currency exchange points in Greenville so it is best to exchange foreign currency for USD before you leave your country or potentially exchange upon arrival at the airport in the United States. Please note that currencies accepted by exchange points in United States airports are limited.

What is the weather like in Greenville?

Greenville has a humid subtropical climate. The weather in May in Greenville is typically pleasant with an average high temperature of 81 F (27 C) and average low of 60 F (16 C) though the humidity can make warm temperatures feel warmer and cool temperatures colder. Greenville averages around 8 days of rain in May so it’s a good idea to pack a rain jacket and/or umbrella.

What clothes should I take?

Business casual is appropriate attire for the conference as well as typical for faculty and staff on ECU’s campus. Buildings on campus are air conditioned and many people find them chilly, so it is a good idea to bring a sweater. A light jacket for mornings and evenings is also recommended. ECU’s campus is relatively large so please bring comfortable walking shoes. This is especially important if you are joining us for the cultural excursion!

What power outlets are used in the United States?

Most attendees will need to bring a plug adapter and voltage converter for their electrical devices, with the exception of attendees from Japan, Mexico, and Central America (though it is still a good idea to double check). The United States’ electricity is 120 volts, and outlets are either Type A or Type B. All outlets on ECU’s campus are Type B which also accept Type A plugs. Single-voltage devices, such as hair dryers, that are made for 220-volt outlets require a voltage converter. Most other devices like laptop and mobile phone chargers are dual-voltage and only require a plug adapter.

Can I use my mobile phone on the United States’ networks? Is Wi-Fi readily available?

It is best to consult your mobile carrier regarding their international plans. Pre-paid data plans are less common in the United States and also more expensive than pretty much anywhere else in the world. Options are very limited and you must visit a retailer if you decide to purchase after you arrive. Sim cards are typically not available at international arrivals terminals in the United States, and definitely not at the Raleigh-Durham airport.

While there will be Wi-Fi available on ECU’s campus, off-campus sites may not have public internet access.

Getting around

Greenville has relatively few and infrequent public transportation services. ECU has a campus transit system but all areas of campus relevant to the conference are within walking distance. Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are available for short trips within the city. It is not possible to hail a taxi in Greenville. The areas around ECU’s campus and core downtown district are pedestrian friendly but streets outside of these areas typically lack pedestrian infrastructure like sidewalks and crosswalks and should be avoided on foot.


Greenville is a small metropolitan city which, as with any other urban area, has an average share of crime both violent and non-violent. Typical guidelines such as being aware of your surroundings and never walking alone at night apply here. In case of emergency dial 911 or use one of the “blue-light phones” located throughout campus. More safety tips provided by ECU can be found here.

What do I need to bring?

Please bring your own toiletries as none are provided by ECU housing. Similarly, common appliances found in hotel rooms such as a hair dryer, clothing iron, or ironing board are not provided.

Interested in learning more?